How has networking changed in the world of social media?
For many years, our business development focused on networking face to face. We would meet over coffee, for lunch, or at networking events. Web 2.0 arrived, and we then retreated behind our computers. However, marketing always focuses on getting our target market to know, like, and trust us. We still must embrace networking.
Bob Calamai has the answers for networking
Bob is the assistant director of New York University’s Masters in Leadership offered through NYU’s School of Continuing Studies. Bob is a recognized expert on how networking impacts our leadership and professional responsibilities.
Bob and I covered the following topics during our conversation.
- Social media has become so prevalent today. How has this impacted the breadth and depth of business relationships?
- What are some of the best practices you are seeing in leveraging social media networking today? How can entrepreneurs adopt these practices?
- What are some examples of poor networking using social media? How can entrepreneurs avoid these?
- Questions related to Bob’s three points
- Be responsive
- Why has lack of responsiveness become so prevalent?
- What is the generally accepted timeframe for replying? How does this change relative to the medium (i.e. Twitter, e-mail)
- Respect your contacts
- How common sense is this? Why have we neglected this so much?
- Stephen Covey and Michael Hyatt have talked a lot about the “emotional bank account”. What is the optimal mix in your mind?
- If you are “just saying hi”, what are some good practices to follow?
- Being direct, but not pushy
- We’ve all experienced the “hard sell”. How can we balance our own needs to get things done with maintaining a relationship?
- What is the best way nurture a relationship in today’s networking world?
- Be responsive
- For entrepreneurs in today’s world, what is the best piece of advice you can give to network more effectively?
How can you use networking to make your business happen? Share your thoughts in the comments below!