The following post is a guest post from my friend Dave Wellman. Dave is the founder of The Wellman Group and works with individuals to find a business idea that fits with their ideas of “perfect”. The original post can be found here.
Whether you consider yourself a natural leader or not, you must become a leader to have any level of success in business. Every time you develop a new business partner/customer you must lead them from just being excited about your product/service into a highly motivated and satisfied referral machine.
My favorite author on the subject of leadership is, John Maxwell. John has a clear understanding of leadership. He has studied the subject for years as well as training literally thousands of people each year. John teaches that there are two types of leaders, those who create followers and those who create leaders. To be successful as a business owner you must be able to create leaders. You must be able to influence your new partners in such a way that they will be able to become leaders in their own businesses. When you do this, your business will have the ability to grow basically on auto-pilot!
In order to be a leader who creates an auto-pilot business, you must realize several things:
1. You must master the art of listening.
2. You must become a relationship builder.
3. You must be able to guide your new clients through the changes that will occur through the use of your product/service.
4. You must become a resource for your clients, providing them with the tools necessary to change and grow.
5. You must empower your new clients to take advantage of your product/service.
When you develop just a few consistently referring customers as well as solid leaders in your business, you will have effectively created a business that will grow by leaps and bounds!